Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Back in Los Angeles

Of course we have June gloom today. For you non Angelenos it's when the marine layer is so thick you can't see the sun. Not sure why they call it June gloom since it does happen year round. It might be like this the rest of the week.

The flight back was endless. When I arrived at JFK, I thought if I were back in NYC, I'd be home by now. On the JFK to LAX flight I did sit to a cool school teacher from San Piedro just returning from her first trip to Italy. She had the funniest stories about her trip. D.L. Hughley and Jeff Tambor were on our flight. I had to restrain myself from saying "Hey now!" to Tambor. Arrested Development R.I.P.

I have so much mail along with a tax bill from the city. My accountant told me had to get a business license as an independent contractor and now have to pay taxes for last year. I also received all the car insurance info. Trying not to stress out about it.

While I am happy to be back in my own bed I just feel down. I had a real wake up call this last trip. I know I am sleepwalking through my life here. Now I need to figure out how to change that.

Went to Pavillions at 5:30 this morning and was excited to be in a big ass American supermarket. Hah. Also it's a treat to turn on the television and actually understand everything.

My last day in Rome was pretty freaking amazing. I took the metro out to Cinecitta and visited the set of the HBO/BBC miniseries ROME. Grace, one the producers arranged for a tour with the historical consultant Terrence. The scale of the sets were unreal and the tour was excellent. Learned alot and remembered some of my ancient history. I forgot Julius Caesar named the month of July after himself, ego much?

I watch Allan direct a scene with James Purefoy. I didn't meet James but saw him up close and personal when he came over to video village to look at some playback. As one of my former bosses would say, he is a stone cold fox. I also walked around the lot with one of the Italian producer's assistants. I saw the Gangs of New York streets. We were going to go into Fellini's office but the guy with the key wasn't going to be there until four.

After the set visit had a good meeting with the head of Warner Italia. It was basically a general meeting about the Italian film biz. It was great to hear his perspective. Met Giampiero at 9:45 (in LA we eat at 7:30 maybe 8:00) at Trilussa Taverna in Trastevere for dinner. A bottle of wine and a couple courses later we walked back. He might be in LA in June. He still has an apartment here.

Okay off to Gelson's so I can pay an arm and a leg for some cherries and strawberries, etc. I guess I'll unpack tonight after work.

No comments: