Thursday, March 08, 2007

My dinner with Clive

Around 6.00 p.m. yesterday evening my boss's producer partner says to me:

PP - "Can you go to this dinner meeting for me? I am slammed before leaving town tomorrow (for an event with a client)."

Me - "I hate what I am wearing, I'm jet lagged and I wasn't in the last meeting about this project. How will I be able to contribute to the discussion?"

The other producing partner - "You are crazy. Go home and change, quickly watch the movie (a film the other production company and directors referenced), have some caffeine and get to the Four Seasons by 8:00."

Okay, so the jet lag has clearly made me speak nonsense. Instead of being excited to meet one of my favorite actors, I was looking forward to getting into my jammies and going to bed. It is a good thing the women I work with knew I wasn't myself yesterday. Some how I rallied (ha) and met my boss, the other producer, the directors, and Mr. Owen.

Most actors seem much smaller in person since the camera adds weight. That is not the situation with Mr. Owen. He is one of the few male actors who has "it". Not only is he extremely talented but is also smart, freaking hilarious, and has quite a presence. The meeting went well. Some random (and bold) women stepped to him as we were walking toward the lobby. He was very gracious. To have people approaching you all the time must get really old, unless you are one of those stars who needs constant validation.

We were all saying good-bye. I held out my hand to Mr. Owen and instead I got a kiss on the check. I am a professional, therefore I did not act stupid, i.e. pass out or something.

I usually don't post about the talent I meet/deal with through work but he is on another level (that voice, that accent). I walked away from the meeting thinking it's great to meet people who are actually trying to make good/interesting movies. He and my boss are actors first. Yes, it's nice to make some money but they also do theater and are in for the craft...the other stuff is gravy. Attitudes like theirs are rare these days.

13 comments:

Tracie P. said...

(squealy voice)OHMYGOD!

he is so cute. you were passing out on the inside, weren't you ;)

gibber said...

FUCKING HELL! I would have fainted. I would have drooled. That man could talk me out of my underwear on a crowded street. That man...OH! that MAN!

And yes, Matt is aware of my Clive Owen obsession. He can have Halle, I can have Clive (and Daniel Craig).

Anonymous said...

WOW! you have a cool job.

Anonymous said...

I agree that you have a cool job, and you sound very cool and collected about it. I'm new to reading blogs and just wanted to say that your's is definately one of the more interesting ones. The way you write is like hearing a story from an old friend. Keep up the good work & good luck on your book & may your dream come true one day & you take up permanent residence in the beloved Italy!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

tracie b. - I am telling you I deserve a freaking Oscar for not acting a fool after that kiss. :)

gibber - You are too funny. There should be a law against someone being so sexy.

j. doe - LOL, most of the time it's frustrating as hell but I think the next couple of months are going to be great.

Anon - thanks for the nice compliment and good wishes!

Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

Girl, I love it... only you could possibly pull this off and be so calm and collected about it. I mean, come on, I was just reading about this guy in Vanity Fair today, yet, YOU, miss fancy-pants, were having DINNER with him. Well, la-dee-dah! Definitely blog material. But, no photos? Kidding.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

LOL Sorry Shelley - no photos. I still have a copy of GQ with him on the cover. It will have to do.

gibber said...

In case anyone forgot the hotness that was that cover:

http://www.murphsplace.com/owen/images15/GQcover.jpg

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

gibber - you are so kind to send that photo.

Liane Spicer said...

"I held out my hand to Mr. Owen and instead I got a kiss on the cheek."

*swoons dead away*

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

wordtryst - :)

Kataroma said...

Wow - I somehow missed this post. I have such a crush on CO - and glad to hear that he's a nice guy as well! :)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

kataroma - CO is one of the nicest people I have met since I started working in Hollywood.