Wednesday, May 02, 2007

This Year You Write Your Novel by Walter Mosley

Walter Mosley is one of my favorite writers and this book is a must read for anyone who is interested in writing. The slim book, 103 pages, is packed with useful and inspirational information. For those who have a MFA it might seem like common sense but I enjoy reading how talented writers approach their craft.

One thing he said, which I have heard several times, is writers write. Every single day (does blogging count?). I know so many film execs who say they know they can write a script (you know, 'cause it's so easy!) but don't have the time. A writer has to write, they make the time. They are not doing it so they can sell a spec script to make a ton of money.... that person is a hack. Of course there's nothing wrong with being a well paid hack, if that is your goal but it's a tough group to break into. On the other hand strong, solid good writing will find an audience sooner or later. Sometimes a writer might write a script that does make a ton of money but the original goal was to tell a story.

Hopefully I will be getting my editorial report next week. I am looking forward to getting back into my novel. In the meantime, I am going to read Mr. Mosley's book again.

No comments: