Saturday, November 17, 2007

Italia week: food and wine

I could go on and on about two of my favorite things in the world but I won't. I need to start packing for my trip.

I have heard some Americans complain the food in Italy is not "Italian food". That statement confuses me. Each region of Italy has its own flavor (pun intended) so don't know how you can write off an entire country's cuisine.

I am looking forward to leaving a culture where food is seen by most people as a means to an end. Sorry, life is too short to be shoveling flavorless, mediocre food into one's mouth.

Here is a recipe and video from the Mestolando blog run by a couple in Florence. The recipe is for Penna Pasta alla Fiesolana. It's similar to a carbonara but uses a beciamella sause as a base.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember being in Italy and hearing some American friends complaining that the lasagne in Italy is not "real" because it's not made with ricotta cheese, but with bechemel sauce. This was the day after a Canadian friend told me that some of her Canadian friends complained because the tomato sauce was too watery and that there wasn't enough of it (the pasta was not drowning in it as it is in many restaursnts in Canada and the USA)
This stuck me as weird, but after eating Chinese food both in NY, CA, Israel and Italy have noted that it is different all over and people are generally used to what they eat the most.
P.S. I think the Italian food is much better there though. Enjoy your trip. Bring back lots of Ciobar and ciocolate and whatever else you can carry.

gibber said...

that's so funny about the lasgne. i prefer mine with the bechemel sauce (this was before I knew what a bechemel sauce was, let alone how to make it.)

have a GREAT trip!!!

Jen said...

Have a wonderful trip! I'm so, so jealous. ;-)

BTW... have you seen the Italian Spiderman trailer on you tube? Very, very silly stuff. In a good way.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

J. doe - I agree...I have yet to have a truly awful meal here.

gibber - thanks sis.

jen - I haven't seen it but I will check it out.