Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Venice day four: Photos of L'acqua Water (high water)

I had to leave the hotel from another entrance and getting to the station that day was not fun. ha. A siren went off at 6:00 a.m. that morning to warn of the high tide.

See the platforms in the background. When I heard San Marco flooded, I pictured some puddles.


Not this. Wow. The tide comes in around 9ish and the flood waters leave a couple hours later.


The view out the front door of my hotel. The water was gushing over the canal walls.


Shot from one of the platforms. Some places didn't have them so I had to wade through. Good thing I had my leather boots treated with water-resistant spray. I did get wet but at least my shoes were not ruined. I looked like big dork with my pants hiked up.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting photos of Venice in l'acqua alta. Did it smell?

Susan in Italy said...

Hey, looks like you got a real taste of Venice in winter. The people who live there wear big rubber Wellington boots regularly over the cold weather months to keep dry from the tides, so I'm sure you didn't look like a dork! I think most people who visit Venice don't ever get to see this.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

j. doe - nope didn't smell at all. Not sure how it is in during the hot summer.

Susan - Yes I saw tons of people out with the Wellington boots. Many tourists were wearing the long plastic boots the stores were selling.

Anonymous said...

I kid you not that looks like Buenos Aires during a late summer storm. Two hours later, completely dry sidewalks. Weird.

Anonymous said...

tracey k/oh: okay - this is obviously a normal thing (LOL!) At first I thought oh no!, then I see they have the planks built so the folks can keep on about their bizness. That is very, very, interesting, ragazza. Good photos.

Jen said...

I can't imagine what it would be like living with that with frequency. And if you looked like a dork, at least you looked like a dry dork.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Tina - really? B.A. is one of the places I want to visit.

tracey K - thank you!

jen - ha! yes there were many dorks walking around that day.

Black Wombmyn Chat said...

Wow. Everything looks so gorgeous--even more so when wet!

tangobaby said...

Again, great photos. Very dramatic. But I'm glad I didn't have to deal with the floods while I was there.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

dmb and tango baby - I agree it looked great and was very dramatic. I worried about missing my train while I waded through the flood waters and didn't quite appreciate it at the time. :)