Sunday, April 27, 2008

Red tape, Spaghetti All'amatriciana, a nice tub

It is STUNNING out.

I just got back in. I was going to do some work but instead got sucked into reading the film trades online.

File this little tale under ironic. What has been the biggest pain in the butt since I arrived in Italy? An American company called AT&T. For the last two weeks my sister and I have tried to get to the bottom of a problem with my former account. The problem is on their end. My poor sister, who was trying to help me out, spent over two hours on the phone with them last week. Thanks to their incompetence I cannot access any of my emails on that account. My Flickr page is connect to that address, so I can't access that page either. I am beyond irritated. I've just sent them another email (number 25 I believe). Maybe they will get it right soon.

I went to dinner at G.'s girlfriend's house. Her ridiculously gorgeous friend let's call him GF, was making dinner. I saw him at a luncheon we went to a couple weeks ago. He made this delicious Spaghetti All'amatriciana. I chuckled when he and G. got into a very intense 15 minute conversation about how to make it and which style was really Roman. Unfortunately GF also smokes a lot. Everyone lit up after dinner except me. I don't think I could date a smoker. This might mean I will be single in Rome. haha. So far every single guy I have met here smokes.

One of G.'s friends also came over. She is the actress I met the first week I was here. I was the last person to finish my dinner. G. was teasing about me about eating so slowly. Defending me, she said:

"You eat slowly. That is good. It's means you make love slowly as well."
I said "no comment" and then said to G. "You eat very quickly. Your poor girlfriend"
He replied, "Yeah but I had two servings. I ate twice." The whole table busted out laughing.

I finally saw my apartment today. We are signing contacts next week. Both of the apartments I have stayed in here do not have tubs. I prefer showers and don't take baths often but when I saw that brand new tub, tears almost came to my eyes. :)

My landlord's granddaughter was there. She was born in America and speaks fluent English. She was able to translate everything. There are a few little things the contractors might need to finish up but I will be able to still move in.

The place is so freaking small, it's half the size of my L.A. apartment. I will have to get rid of more things when they arrive. Right now my crate is on a ship in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean heading toward the port of Naples. I can just imagine what drama awaits my shipment there. The apartment does get plenty of light and has a ton of character. The landlord did a great job with the renovation. The building is nice and very clean. The condo fees aren't too bad. There is no ac and because the building is so old (it's in the Historic Center) there will be no ac installed, ever. I better get some fans.

For such a small space, there is decent storage...it's well designed and laid out. My apartment in L.A. had zero character. I am glad to say good-bye to the beige wall-to-wall carpeting and popcorn ceilings. This place has hardwood floors, tiled flooring in the bathroom, very high wood beamed ceilings and huge windows with shutters on the outside.

My friend has been so patient letting me stay here. I promised to make him dinner once all my things arrive. I am not cooking Italian. I don't need that kind of pressure. G. doesn't play when it comes to food. God help you if the pasta is not al dente.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun time at dinner! The bit about eating slowly could be straight out of a sitcom.

Can't wait to see your new apartment. Will you be posting a photo or two once you get settled in? ~Rose in Cali

Homebody at Heart said...

I said I would never date someone who smoked,too, so my friends gave me a bad time when I dated a smoker (then spent a lot of time trying to get him to quit). I thought the younger Italians were supposed to be very health conscious? Smokers or not, sounds like your meeting lots of fun and interesting people! And G had a pretty good comeback!

glamah16 said...

You have amazing friends . Im so happy you saw the apartment. I fearif I moved back to Europe I would start smoking again like a chimney.

Anonymous said...

The landlord is making you pay the condominio fee? That's not standard.... usually the owner pays that and the renter pays utilities like gas, water & light. You might want to double check on the legality of that.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

rose in cali - I don't think I will be posting photos of the inside. Although sometimes I look at the website Apartment Therapy and reconsider.

homebody - yes he did. My friends are in the 30/40s so not sure if you consider that on the younger side. :)

glamah16 - I have never been a smoker but I'm telling you my tolerance for it has already increased. In L.A. I was very sensitive to cigarette smoke.

anon - I had an Italian lawyer look at the contract. Everything is on the up and up. Most places here you pay the condo fees or they are included in the rent. I have never heard of a renter paying for water however, here or in the states.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

What an awesome group of friends! And yes, I said I'd never date a smoker too...guess what P does :(

erin said...

I hope your email gets sorted out soon...so you can post on Flickr! I'd love to see your new place :)

Jen said...

G sounds like a treasure to have as a friend. Maybe you should make him something totally American (or something from St. Maarten?) I'm glad you like the apartment!

ladonnadifilicudi said...

che grande che ti sei trasferai al tuo appartamento molto presto. whoo!! ero molto felice di sentire la tua voce al telefono. mi sembra che tu sia stata in Italia per piu` di un mese. mi manchi piu` che tu sappia pero' ci vedremo nell'autunno. sei una grande cuoca. non ti dimenticare di fare la torta che facevi per la cena a casa mia. sono sicura che gli piacera`la torta e tutto il resto che farai. baci enormi!!

Anonymous said...

well, I am a renter that pays the condo fee, the water, spazzatura, electricity and all maintenence fees...so there you go.
Hope you're happy in your new home.xx

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

bleeding espresso - He does?! Okay I am going to stop saying I won't date a smoker. ha.

erin - I am so salty about the whole mess. It better get sorted out soon.

jen - good idea. I was thinking Caribbean. It's a question of finding the ingredients.

ladonna - ciao tesoro! era molto divertenti parlare con te. Mi manchi. baci grande.

figcharlie - thank you. I will be moving tomorrow. Cannot wait. I'm paying maintenance fees as well but they are included in the condo fees. The good thing is the building is spotless.

Anonymous said...

"I ate twice" LOL! Score one (or should I say 2) for G.

Happy that things are coming together nicely. I hate smokers too but the hubster does occasionally. Thank god people can't smoke in public areas now. Do they respect that law in Rome? In Milan they do.

Sherry said...

I loved the dinner convo. lol. Your apartment sounds really awesome. I love exposed wood beam ceilings. Nice.

And, what is up with all the smokers? Do they have PSAs about smoking in Italy?

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

linda - from what I've notice yes, esp. in restaurants.

sherry - the cigarette packets say big letters (they take up half the packet) SMOKING KILLS. We actually talked about that at dinner. Someone said "well I'll die happy" as they lit up. I guess we all have our vices. I would want to ease up on the gelato or I won't be to fit into my clothes.

gibber said...

G sounds like quite a character!

Claudia said...

Reading your comments, I think the comment "Well I'll die happy" pretty much sums up the italian life. hehe.
It really sounds like you're having the time of your life over there!!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

gibber - ha. he is.

claudia - yes, if I only didn't have to worry about a little thing called money. :) I remember when the dollar was at 1.30 and thinking that was bad. Sigh I hoping for 1.40 at this point.

Anonymous said...

Yea for the new place and double YEA that you love it!! I hope you will post pics. Also, your friend is pretty quick with the comebacks! lol

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

cherrye - I am moving right now. So relieved..despite the no Internet for two weeks thing.

Yes G. is a sharp one. :)

Liz Dwyer said...

LOL at G's comeback! That's a good one.

Your apartment sounds beautiful. My place is one of the "older" buildings in Silverlake with more character, but older here has nothing on older for Rome, that's for sure.

And I'd gain 20 pounds overnight from eating all that delicious sounding food. Yum!

Lisa said...

Your apartment sounds wonderful. Any chance you might post pictures soon? Living vicariously, you know...

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Los Angelista - I am actually losing weight. Which shocking given all the gelato and pizza I eat. ha. Silverlake is one of my favorite neighborhoods in Los Angeles.

lisa - yes, it's very cute. I don't know if I will post photos of the apartment. I have been taking photos all over Rome and will post some once I have Internet in my apt. and access to my Flickr page again.

Queenie DiTeasia said...

You are inspiring me every time I read your post. I plan on moving to Italy in 2012, after I graduate with my MBA and get some Italian language under my belt.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

lbianca - thanks for reading and good luck with your future move!