Monday, September 01, 2008

Gustav and the RNC convention.

It seems as Gustav is veering away from New Orleans but still many people are displaced (over 2 million people have fled) and thousands are without electricity.

It's the third anniversary of Katrina. Bush was supposed to speak at the Republican convention tonight but decided to stay away to keep an eye on Gusav.

I'm curious to see how the convention will unfold. What are they going to highlight? I am still trying to figure out this Palin pick (I'll post on that later).

Now there are all these rumors that the reason Cheney isn't at the convention is because something is about to jump off in Iran. Sigh. We can't deal with two wars, are we really going to add a third? Where is this money coming from?

I hope Gustav continues to weaken. My heart goes out to all those impacted by the storm.

7 comments:

Homebody at Heart said...

Welcome back, sorry I missed your first post but I recognize the cantante singing the AS Roma theme, Claudio Baglioni. I think he's a big fan because I saw a YouTube video of hime kissing Totti, several times on the cheeks, like an adoring tifoso.

glamah16 said...

I too am curious. And now just in the new GOP VP candidate, Sarah Palin, has announced her 17 years old daughter is pregnant to deflect the rumours thet her last child( the one born with Downs Syndrome ) is not her daughters. Of course the teenager will be marrying her boyfriend.
At least they are mindful of how Bush blew it with Katrina before.

Faith at Acts of Faith Blog said...

Bush & Cheney weren't attending anyway and now they get to use the storm as an excuse, so they can issue press conferences from the safety of the White House.

Jen said...

I'm really weirded out by Sarah Palin. On every single level.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the storm's path. I'm glad the government actually evacuated areas in an appropriate manner this time.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

homebody - I don't know much about Mr. Baglioni. I must do some research.

glamah16 - I really can't believe the drama with this pick. It shows really bad judgement given the problems we are facing as a nation.

faith - I read that some at the Convention were relieved that they weren't coming. I can't wait until my cable is hooked up tomorrow so I can watch some of the coverage. I just don't know what positive things they can run on.

jen - I agree. Also NOLA lucked out that the storm's center didn't hit them directly.

Anonymous said...

This is a bit belated, but you have to admit that Republicans really pulled on out the hat with Palin. Even if shes seems way too greenhorn for the position, I am glad that she is making more people comment on politics in election. I get why Dems picked Biden, but he isn't getting anyone talking.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

newworld - Given how bad the financial markets are right now, I'm hoping we will focus on the issues again.