Thursday, June 18, 2009

Flashback Friday – (on Thursday) - Delta V- "Un Estate Fa"

I first heard about this version of the Mina song on Milanese Marsala's blog.

I played it to death last summer and listened to it today during my morning workout. It's so "summery". The lead singer is American. I couldn't tell at first but now I can pick up her accent.

I'm in a horrendous mood these days. I'm broke, single (true, some guy tried to pick me up in Monti on Monday but that's not how I roll..I have to write about that craziness some time) and it's so freaking hot in Rome.

I've decided to look for a freelance/part-time/short contract job. As I told one of my friends back in Hollywood, positive feedback doesn't pay the bills. Things are moving so slowly on my "wedding movie" script. We can't move forward until the production company figures out what's going on with one of their "go" movies.

That said, my expat and Italian friends here are amazing. The best way to find a job is Word of Mouth and they are getting the word out. Part of me feels like a loser. I mean, I'm a writer, right? I should be making money as one. The other side (the practical one) knows I need to earn a living. I realize I need to get over that feeling. I don't have a trust fund.

David E. Kelley wrote scripts while working as a lawyer as did Ron Bass. I know people say this all the time, writers write. Paying bills is another story.

I'm going to be upbeat about this. Writing is so solitary. It will be nice to be in an office and/or work with other people.

My manager told me last night several of his well established screenwriter clients are not working. Hollywood studios have reduced the number of scripts they are buying. They're all about remakes and comic books these these days.

I was lucky TRAITOR happened. My producers fee from that movie enabled me to move here and change my life. I wrote five scripts and one treatment (three scripts completed, two still working on) in the past year. One of those scripts lead to my "wedding movie" script.

All the money I received from my birthday (way back in August) and for Christmas from my family is paying bills not anything fun. I'm so tempted to whip out my credit card (I ran up Via Condotti this morning. Prada, Gucci, etc. were calling my name) and go crazy but I know I'll feel bad once the bills come in.

My parents surprised me a few weeks back by putting money in my American bank account. They always ask me if I need money. I always lie and say no but then my siblings tell them the truth. Well, now at least my July expenses are covered. (thanks fam).

I wonder if I will ever reach a point in my life where I have a bunch of money in the bank and won't have to worry about the future. What am I saying? I'm freaked out about the present!! ha

Anyway I'm taking quick, cheap train ride tomorrow. I just finished the rough draft of my latest spec script and need a mental health day.

Have a great weekend.

13 comments:

Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

Wanna come up to Milan? I can prob find you something here re: work ehehehh.

No seriously, when are you coming for a visit....??

milanese masala said...

Great song, eh? I think I'm going to start listening to it again this summer.

It's hard for workers in every profession now. Hopefully this downturn is only temporary and that things will improve soon. Fingers crossed for you!

Hey, did you read that book I sent you? Did you like it? Am curious.

And I second Sara's thought. Come to Milan now!!

Camillo said...

"Un'Estate Fa" was written in 1972 by french Michel Fugain, who had at least a couple of huge hits in Europe those days..., here is a video: Une belle histoire. Here a recente live version of the song.

..and this is another huge hit of the time..."attention madames et monsieurs"

All the best,

Viajera said...

Nice song. The lead singer is trans, no? I.e. pre/post-op M to F. (Okay. I will be so embarrassed if you say s/he was born a woman).

fashion survivor said...

Hey, please stop beating yourself up. I live in the U.S. and just got a regular job because earning a living as a freelance writer (albeit in journalism, which is a lot less well-paying than screenwriting) was just too hard. I can't imagine trying to do it in a foreign country with the world economy in a shambles. You do what you gotta do!

Anonymous said...

How do you roll?

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

sara - :) I don't know when I'll be up.

milanese - I'm in the middle of two books now so I haven't started it yet. I will let you know what I think when I finally get to it.

camillo - grazie mille. It's a great song.

viajera - I have no idea!

fashion survivor - You're right. Writing is not the most stable of professions even during prosperous times. Good luck with you new job.

Anon - I'm not rolling anywhere these days except to the Forno for more Pizza Bianco.

Texas Espresso said...

I love delta v! i totally know how you feel. we've been in flux for almost 3 years and Im sick to death of being broke and i need a vacation. these limbo stages suck. hopefully our lights at the end of the tunnel will show themselves soon.

Tracie P. said...

we watched traitor last night--i saw your name in the credits! so cool!

i loved the movie, don cheadle is always great. his friend omar had a whole roy scheider thing goin on.

Tracie P. said...

oh, i forgot to say--comfort yourself with produce my friend.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

texas expresso - I feel you. I hope they show themselves soon too.

tracie b - I'm glad you loved the movie. I enjoyed working on it.

Produce is my friend. ha

glamah16 said...

Wish I culd help. All I can do is continue to send good thoughts your way. I dont believe you have come this far for nothing.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

grazie glamah...you are helping.