Friday, October 02, 2009

Flashback Friday – Johnny Kemp - "Just Got Paid"

The first time I heard this song on NYC radio station WBLS, I knew it was going to be a monster hit. It came out in the 1988. If you were at a club and the DJ spun this, you were on your feet immediately.

N'Sync did an okay cover a few years ago. Teddy Riley wrote the original for Keith Sweat who suggested his friend Johnny. I do miss that New Jack sound from the late 80s, early 90s.

So it's Friday and I didn't just get paid but love the long version VIDEO. Gotta love those high top fade haircuts and folks doing the Roger Rabbit.

Have a great weekend.

5 comments:

gibber said...

Ooooo, grrrrrrl. I LOVE this song. I love the way he says mirror.

We used to rock the hell out to this song something hard. Was it really 88? Dang.

Anonymous said...

I love that song. I can't wait until "flashback friday's" on your blog. Every song you think of is interesting, thoughtful and intelligent. Rock on....

V

Unknown said...

My cousin's 13 yo son just discovered this "classic" - all of us "elders" around the table could not stop laughing and talking about the memories hearing it brings..thanks for the reminder!

Liz Dwyer said...

I did NOT know N'Sync did a cover. I'm gonna have to go look that up. I miss the whole New Jack Swing thing, too. Those were some good dancing times.

Kim B. said...

Do you know I don't think I've ever heard this song?!! Guess it didn't make it out to the stix . . . .