Monday, April 18, 2011

Jumping The Broom Mondays - Paula Patton And Laz Alzono Interview

I'm trying to find out what the international release schedule will be. I heard JTB might be in the UK in June. Once I know more, I will post.

I do know that JUMPING THE BROOM will be opening in St. Maarten on May 12th!! I can't believe tiny SXM is getting the movie.

My mom had quite the scare when a neighbor called her.

Her neighbor: Is your daughter Arlene Gibbs?
My mom: Yes.
Her neighbor: *gives a yell*
My mom: WHAT? Something happened?
Her neighbor: No, no, no, man. I just saw her name in the Daily Herald!!
My mom: WHAT?!
Her neighbor: Yes ma'am. They said she has a MOVIE coming out! Lord, you all must be so proud!

My dad said some of his friends are salty because he didn't tell them about the movie coming to St. Maarten. It's because he didn't know until a few days ago.

The local cable company gets a Tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) feed along with French, Dutch and other channels. So St. Maartiners are seeing all the JTB ads that are running in America.

I bet Nestor, who works at the airport, will tell everyone and their mother about the film. He's seems to know all the folks on the island, including the many tourists who come back every year. Nestor recently turn 70 and has been working at the airport since 1966. I can't imagine flying into Princess Juliana International Airport and not seeing him.

JTB stars Laz Alonzo and Paula Patton were in Washington, DC for a special screening at Howard University. Laz is a DC native and graduated from Howard.

Below is their interview with Fox DC Morning show. They have a lot of chemistry and as Zoolander would say, they are really, really, ridiculously good looking.

Jumping The Broom stars on myfoxdc: MyFoxDC.com

10 comments:

Paola said...

You know, I never realized you are from St. Maarten.
I went there once.
Nestor sounds adorable.

oilandgarlic said...

I saw a big billboard for your movie. Very cool. Congrats.

Anna said...

so you are famous!:) Great!:)

gibber said...

that's a great interview. They do have great chemistry.

OK, I live in DC. Can a sister to the screenwriter get a hookup? DAMN.

:)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Paola - Hope you had a great trip to SXM. Yes, 95% of my family is from there with the other percent being from Anguilla, Curacao and Guadeloupe. Nestor is a legend on the island. I hope I'm still that active when I'm his age.

oilandgarlic - thank you!

anna - ha. I don't know about being famous. St. Martin is TINY.

gibber - I told you, I have nothing to do with marketing. Aiight? x

ELY said...

I love how you've changed your life. I've recently been reading your old posts and take inspiration from your example that we don't have to be held hostage by our lives- sometimes you just gotta jump!
JTB adverts are now on the sides of buses in NYC! So you are famous!

K said...

Hello Arlene,
I just wanted to congratulate you on your upcoming movie. I had no idea you were also behind Love & Basketball, one of my fave movies from when I was in high school and playing basketball myself. I admire your story, how you left LA for Rome, and I hope one day to do the same and leave NYC for Italia which I love so much. I would love to learn more about how you made that transition.

Viajera said...

Oh jeez! I hope we get it in Holland! LOL! Congrats again!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

ely - Hope you enjoy the movie. I can't believe there are ads on NYC buses.

kendra - thank you. I was only an assistant on L&B, but glad to hear it's one of your favorites. I wrote about the transition in earlier posts. The labels Countdown to Rome, EU citizenship etc. should have more info about how/way I made the move. Good luck with your move.

Viajera - thanks. Hopefully will have more info about international dates soon.

Cherrye at My Bella Vita said...

I just showed P the trailer and wanted to say how we proud and happy we are for you. The movie looks fabulous and I *so* wish we could watch it this weekend.

Bisous!