Tuesday, September 06, 2011

A bellissimo buttery yellow from Piemonte (via America and Germany)

I returned to Piemonte for my birthday. As a gift to myself, I bought this lovely bud vase and a bowl made by the very talented Diana Strinati Baur. Diana is an American who moved to Germany, then to Italy.



In this POST Diana talks about her long creative journey.

It's quite inspiring.

The photo below includes some of Diana's other pieces. I DIE for the yellow dessert plates with the pretty edges.

Someday I will place an order for those plates because I believe one day I will live in apartment and/or have a house big enough to entertain in.

For further information about her work/purchasing check out her BLOG.



I wanted to buy white Gerbera daises, but the flower stand only had yellow.

True, it is more expensive to buy something handmade. To me it's worth it.

There is no other vase on the planet that looks like this one. Diana could make fifty more vases using the same colors and the same method, yet each one would be unique.

I appreciate the time, creativity and love that went into every single piece.

This color cheers me up.

8 comments:

Diana Strinati Baur said...

That gerbera looks adorable in the vase. I might have to make a few more with that opening size to do a series of single gerberas. Lovely idea, cara! xoxo

Katie Parla said...

thanks for sharing this, arlene. diana you are multitalented and inspiring indeed! i hope i make it back up to piedmont soon. Baur B&B looks stunning

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Oh how awesome would that gerbera series look on a weathered old console table *le sigh* -- that buttery vase was one of my fave pieces too!

Di said...

I adore Diana's work too. Congratulations on wise purchases :-)

I follow your blog quietly via google reader but every now and again can't resist writing, hi and love your stories.
Di

dorinalouise said...

the vase and daisy look beautiful. so glad you got to piemonte! and i love hearing about diana. my family wants to visit her b and b now!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

diana - oooh I like the idea of a series of single gerberas!

katie - Her blog is also very inspiring. Piemonte is definitely one of my favorite regions in Italy.

michelle - I didn't think I could love a series more than those blue bowls she made two years ago. The yellow is gorgeous.

di - ciao and thanks for reading!

dorinalouise - I don't even like B&Bs. I'm more of a hotel or rent an apartment kind of traveler. However, her place is pretty special.

Paola said...

One day ... I'll go up there!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Paola - it's fantastic. I look forward to checking out more of the region.